Import of a Spanish bike to Sweden
(paperwork done in 2014)

The Swedish Transport Agency has a fairly good website with instructions to follow on the page; Import from start to finish

However what you need to think about is the time schedule. Once entering Sweden with the intention to import your bike you have a week to send in your papers. Once having done that, you can not use your bike until the process is completed, depending on the workload of the transport agency this can vary in time. I would say a month minimum to complete the process. Please note, if you’re bringing your bike from within the EU it is not actually called import, the phrase used is “bringing a vehicle in”.

Here are the steps you need to follow:

1. Enter Sweden, send in the registration papers, in original, together with the filled-in form to apply for verification of origin. The cost is about 700sek.

When filling in the form you have to choose for what purpose you are bringing in the bike. It isn’t all that clear what they mean and I made a few phone calls to get advice but they all said different things. However, in the end I went for  “personal use” since “relocation goods” cost a bit more and I was told that was used if I needed financial support to adjust the vheicle to Swedish law. My bike was a standard model, 2 years old so it didn’t feel adequate.

You need to send in sufficient information to prove that the bike is yours and that you have owned it prior to moving to Sweden. I sent copies of my purchase contract from Spain, insurance papers and my Spanish ID.

2. Wait. You can’t do anything until the origin has been proved.

3. When the origin has been proved you’ll get a number, which you need to make the appointment for the technical inspection. There are several companies who do this, but the time slots are few and far between. It pays off to search the net and compare different companies’ availability regarding dates. You might have to travel a bit to get an appointment if you don’t want to wait.

4. Insurance. If your foreign insurance isn’t valid you’ll have to apply for a temporary insurance if you want to ride the bike to the inspection. I used Bilsport & Mc. This insurance cost 500sek and is valid for a month, however you can only use it going forth and back to the technical inspection. Riding without a valid insurance is a serious offence in Sweden.

5. Technical inspection. If your bike fulfils the requirement all is good. If not, you’ll have to fix what is needed and make a new appointment. The appoinment costs about 1500sek.

6. Wait for the number plate. It will be sent to the address that you are registered on. The plate costs about 50sek.

7. Get insurance. As in most countries, it pays off to shop around and see what is best for you, your bike and your location.

8. Licence the bike and pay road tax. 50sek for the licencing and then approximately 200sek for the road tax per year. This page will tell you how to do it.

Finally, it was a very happy moment when the plate arrived
Finally, it was a very happy moment when the plate arrived

The Swedish Transport agency has an English language website and you should have no problem importing your bike if you have all the required papers. Time is the worst thing really.


Import of a Swedish bike to Spain
(paperwork done in 2010)

In 2010, I brought my Ducati down to Spain with the intention of keeping it. According to the Spanish law, a vehicle can be kept for 6 months on foreign plates before you need to do an import. Since it is within the EU, the import as such is not difficult, just complicated 🙂 All is of course in Spanish and paperwork is an art taken to perfection in Spain. These are the steps you have to go through:

1.   “Ficha reducida”: it’s a document in Spanish that explains the specifics of the bike, almost like the manual. This cost me about 100 euros. TUV Reheinland is one of many places to do this.

2. ITV (MOT) to do a revision of the bike. They did measure the sound carefully and complimented me for meeting the requirements – well, after all, I had put the original silencers back so shame otherwise. They basically measured everything, wheelbase, handlebars etc… and in the end I failed because I didn’t have the little red reflector at the back. Be careful with the details.

3. Hacienda, the tax office: I now was told that despite already owning the bike for several years I had to pay import tax according to the bike’s age and cc. I’m still not sure if this actually was correct but I could not argue my way out of it. However, if you bring your bike with you when moving to Spain, not several years later as I did, there should, for sure, be no import tax.

4. Jefatura de Trafico: to get papers for the bike and pay another sum of money. No appointment needed, it is just to queue up. This is where you receive the registration number.

5. Licence plate: yes, you have to bring your papers and go and buy your plate.

6. Sign up for insurance. There is a site to help you compare insurances called Rasteator.

In Spain you have to bring your bike papers with you when riding, it is a legal offence not to and you might get fined.

I loved this bike, I was sad to part from it.
I loved this bike, I was sad to part from it.